Monday, March 09, 2009

Whirlwind Couple Of Weeks

It's been busy around here the past couple weeks. On February 21-22, Cora shot in the TFAA State Championships in Temple, TX. She not only won her division, she broke the record by 118 poins. Yeah.

February 27-29 we were in College Station, TX for NAA Indoor Nationals. For indoor, the tournament is split up into regions and there are about 13 locations to shoot at. This gives everyone in the county the opportunity to shoot without having to drive too terribly far. After all the locations have shot, the scores are compiled and the master results are produced.

Andrew shot at 6 PM Friday night. His injured shoulder did NOT let him shoot well. The really bad thing was that he didn't have time to rest before he had to shoot his second day at 8 AM Sat morning. Overall he didn't do as well as he wanted. I'm really proud of him for shooting, and more importantly, for finishing. Many people shoot badly the first day and just don't show up the second day. I think that's really pitiful.

Anyhoo...Cora's turn was at 1 PM Saturday. We were SOOOOO proud of her. All we've ever told her was that if she focuses, tries, and shoots her form we're pleased as punch. She did that this weekend. Because she actually shot her form, she got tired pretty fast. See, we've been trying to get her to shoot a more efficient and stronger form for about two months. This was to ensure she was using it consistently and she wouldn't get tired. She has been fighting us on it. FINALLY, the week before the tournament, she starts using her form and shoots a crazy great personal best at league Thursday night. By Saturday, she was tired. So, her score doesn't reflect how well she performed under pressure. She was focused and did her thing. We were VERY proud. She found out firsthand why we wanted her to begin training earlier. She did NOT like gWe don't care if she ever wins anything.etting beat by girls she usually destroys. She has been really resolved to practicing and getting it right.

It was my turn to shoot on Saturday night. I'll admit it. I was nervous. It was difficult to calm down and be relaxed. The first half of my game wasn't that great. The second half was much better because I was relaxed. Still not as good as I've been shooting. I shot again on Sunday at 9 AM. Sunday wasn't as good. Overall, not a terrible outing, and it was MUCH better than last year's debacle. For the most part, I was happy. Luckily, this past week I've found a huge problem with my shot. For some reason, I wasn't getting into a solid anchor point on my face. Once I fixed that, my groups tightend up considerably. I know that was a problem at the tournament. Sigh. At least now it's fixed.

Now we're off to Louisville, KY on March 13-16 for NFAA Indoor Nationals. Yeah, different organization than last weekend's Nationals. We were going for just Cora to shoot, but I've been doing so well that Andrew convinced me to register as well. This is Cora's third year competing at this tournament and she's taken second place the past two years. This year it's hers. She's excited to shoot.
Another bonus of going to this tournament is that we'll get to see a lot of our friends from Michigan. Many people from Flint Bowmen are also coming to shoot, so it'll be a Flint Bowmen reunion! We're all really excited to see everyone.

Phew! As you can see, we've been busy. After this weekend, we're all getting our bows set up for the outdoor season. First outdoor tournament is the Doinker Texas Shootout in College Station. I'll be there.

No comments: