Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Total Thyroidectomy

Yup. They yanked the sucker out. I went to Ann Arbor to the University of Michigan Medical Center to have my worthless thyroid ripped out of my throat. One word: OUCH.
I woke up from the anesthesia wondering what the hell did I get myself into. I couldn't speak, I couldn't swallow. My throat hurt SO freaking bad. Luckily, once I woke up a bit more and was able to take a few sips of water, everything felt a bit better. They wanted me to take a Motrin. Umm...yeah. Have you SEEN the size of Motrin at a hospital? I didn't think there was any way that I would be able to take that pill. Once I got to my room (I spent the night), the nurse crushed the pill up for me and put it in some applesauce. Very good idea.

Anyway, I spent the night in the hospital. Great nurses. Not much sleep, but who ever sleeps in the hospital? I came home Friday morning. The hour-long car ride was NOT good for my stomach, and I really thought I was going to be sick when I got home. That would have sucked big time. Once the nausea passed, I went to bed. Since then I've been laying around most of the time. I was warned I would be TIRED, since the thyroid controls metabolism and energy levels. I'm taking synthetic hormone, but it takes a while to take effect. I'm doing much better and trying not to overdo it. Andrew went to Maryland on business yesterday, so I'm here to fend for myself while he's away. Can you say Couch Potato? :) I'm on Motrin around the clock to keep swelling and pain down, plus a calcium supplement for a couple weeks.

Besides my medical drama, not much has been going on. It's a bit chilly this week. Sarah's soccer games started weekend before last. She's really excited to get out there and play.

National Scrapbooking Day is this Saturday, May 3! Sweet Shoppe Designs will be having a day of awesome activities and great new products. Plus, there are new Sugarbabes and Designers to announce! See you there!

6 comments:

Robin L said...

Wow you have been threw alot! I hope you feel alot better soon. Thanks for the heads up on Sweet Shop!

Jeannette said...

Ew, yuk! Well, hopefully, NSD will perk you up this weekend. :-)

Unknown said...

My goodness! I really hope that takes care of the issue! Josoliviamaid is right, NSD coming up will be a nice distraction for you.

Angie said...

OUCH! I hope you are feeling better soon.

DawnMarch said...

Isn't that sore throat the worst!?? I so remember that from having surgery. I hope you recover quickly!!!!!!!!!!!

Sinead said...

OUCH! I hope that this helps!